The ridiculous posturing by Democrats and Republicans in the U.S. over the imminent rise in so-called borrowing makes it almost embarrassing to be human. They can’t even get out of the way of their own political agendas to solve a problem threatening to make politics obsolete. Certainly, I’d be embarrassed to be American – or English, Irish, German, French, Swiss, Portuguese and especially Greek, Italian or Spanish. Stand close to any of the Davos men who constitute these nations’ finance ministers and you are immediately struck by the impression that you’re in the presence of the best-dressed con artists walking the globe. [Let me explain.] Words: 1375
So says James West (www.MidasLetter.com) in edited excerpts from an article* which Lorimer Wilson, editor of www.munKNEE.com (It’s all about Money!), has further edited ([ ]), abridged (…) and reformatted below for the sake of clarity and brevity to ensure a fast and easy read. Please note that this paragraph must be included in any article re-posting to avoid copyright infringement. West goes on to say:
The creative rhetoric that has resulted in 2 + 2 equalling -4 since the deficit spending party got underway…is starting to disintegrate under its own inertia. The novelty and creativity of the formulas and structures, and subsequently, new language, required to continue funelling artificial dollars into broken down debt vehicles is still insufficient and the charade is reaching its unavoidable and imminent end.
Is it a coincidence that the debts, currencies, and economies of the top European, Asian and North American countries are all accelerating towards the brick wall of default at the exact same point in history? I smell a rat, or rather, a whole pack of rats. I think the ruling class, which is without a shadow of doubt corrupt beyond redemption, have figured out that if you bury your theft in a mountain of debt, it will never be found and you can ride off into the sunset undiscovered…
Who in the world is currently reading this article along with you? Click here to find out.
It amazes me, and then again it doesn’t, that there are no culprits in this grand global forum of doublespeak. The Greeks are guilty, but not a single Greek person has been named as responsible for anything that might constitute a transgression of fiduciary duty. The American President blames the Republicans, who blame the Democrats. Again, nobody is fingered as the leader or Treasury Secretary or central bank Chairman who is guilty of a crime, or even of towering stupidity…If corporations are the beard for the unsavoury acts of businessmen, then government is certainly the place to hide for leaders who seek to enrich themselves at the expense of the general public.
What’s Going on in America
In the United States, the President and Congress believe it is both their right and their obligation to pretend that the inevitable will only occur according to their political conditions, and fail to recognize that the inevitable will happen because its inevitable. Both sides know that there is absolutely zero chance of a compromise not being reached, and both sides plan to hold out for their respective demands until the very last possible second. Obama promises the Biggest Deal Possible, and Republicans are obliged to proclaim a Little Tiny Deal.
The solution will be the equivalent of little tiny band-aid on a gaping wound in a rain storm. It might slow the tide of the larger inevitability – the collapse of the U.S. dollar and the U.S. financial apparatus – but only temporarily and, then, maybe not at all. Where the boundaries of reason have long ago been surpassed by the astonishing ridiculousness of the economic ruling class, the average intellect is at a loss to opine where the relentless plunge into the apparently bottomless abyss of debt might end. Can we really keep ‘refinancing’ and ‘rolling over’ and ‘reinsuring’ our way into infinity?
At the end of the day, these vast sums being loaned into existence by the collusional participation of elected officials and their appointees is a smokescreen… The scheme has evolved into a scam, and the scam has gotten so mature that, like any Ponzi scheme, it needs to replace old investors with new ones to keep the balls in the air. It looks like the principle product of our globalized pyramid economy – indebtedness – is about to collapse, because all the participants are maxed out; there are no new investors to keep the scam going. The central banks can’t create money fast enough to make even the interest payments on these colossal debts. We could theoretically amp up the rate of money issuance, but even with zero interest rates, that’s too much for the already over-inflated financial system. The value of national currencies is in terminal decline relative to real goods, and we are witnessing the birth of the first global hyperinflation in history. Which brings us back to the main thrust of this story, which is that we are on the verge of a major chronic meltdown.
What’s Happening in Europe
The acuteness of the self-inflicted austerity measures that Obama has as his only bargaining chip, versus the depth of relinquished tax breaks which is the only bargaining chip of the Republicans, is all that remains to be negotiated in America – that and the numerical name of the next debt ceiling. In Europe, the game is slightly different. On multiple fronts, the banks and the governments are negotiating austerity measures as if they were carbon credits and, just as carbon credits are easily counterfeited, or cancelled, or fraudulently re-sold, the promises will be modified by political expediency, the CDO spreads and interest rates will be adjusted to suit the reality required by all the vested interests, and the numerical names of the next bailouts, puny in comparison with America’s, established.
The Situation in China and Japan
The news yesterday that China grew by 9.5% in the second quarter of 2011 appears to have allayed fears that the Chinese Tiger was growing a little bit tired and threatening to lie down for a while – but not before the bad news triggered a warning from Moody’s. According to the Wall Street Journal:
China on Monday failed to sell some of the 50 billion yuan ($7.73 billion) in local bonds offered at a regular auction. It was the first time one of these Ministry of Finance auctions failed to sell out since they began in 2009. Local governments can’t issue bonds directly so the ministry auctions the bonds on their behalf.
Ratings firm Moody’s Investors Service warned last week that local-government debt posed an increased risk to the central government and the banking system, and said a National Audit Office estimate putting the debt at 10.7 trillion yuan understated the actual amount by some 3.5 trillion yuan.
What This Means for the Future of Gold and Silver
With [what is going on in Asia, Europe and the U.S.]… the bigger picture is looking an awful lot like gold and silver will be the ultimate beneficiaries of all this debt stupidity.
- Sinclair and Others Agree: An Unprecedented Financial Storm of Unknown Scope is Engulfing Us http://www.munknee.com/2011/07/these-analysts-agree-an-unprecedented-financial-storm-of-unknown-scope-is-engulfing-us/
- Batten Down the Hatches: A Hurricane of Debt, Deficit and Demographics is Coming! http://www.munknee.com/2011/07/boomers%e2%80%99-legacy-of-odious-debt-has-created-a-new-normal/
- Telling it Like It Is: Monetary Policy, the Federal Reserve, and the National Debt Problem http://www.munknee.com/2011/06/telling-it-like-it-is-monetary-policy-the-federal-reserve-and-the-national-debt-problem/
- Another Economic Collapse and Great Depression are Coming! Here’s Why http://www.munknee.com/2011/06/another-economic-collapse-and-great-depression-are-coming-heres-why/
- “Financial Repression” May Soon Become Our Worst Nightmare! Here’s Why http://www.munknee.com/2011/06/%e2%80%9cfinancial-repression%e2%80%9d-may-soon-become-our-worst-nightmare-heres-why/
- The U.S. is Headed Towards Self-inflicted Disaster: Here’s Why http://www.munknee.com/2011/04/the-u-s-is-headed-towards-self-inflicted-disaster-heres-why/
- America: The Party is Over! Here’s Why http://www.munknee.com/2011/04/america-the-party-is-over-heres-why/
- America’s Political Process Guarantees Another Financial Crisis! http://www.munknee.com/2011/03/america%e2%80%99s-political-process-virtually-guarantees-financial-crisis-2-0/
- Weiss: A Financial Apocalypse Awaits America! http://www.munknee.com/2011/03/weiss-a-financial-apocalypse-awaits-america/
- Americans Have Thrown in the Towel as They Await “The Big Splatter” http://www.munknee.com/2011/02/americans-have-thrown-in-the-towel-as-they-await-the-big-splatter/
- Washington Faces Possible Armageddon Unlike Any Since Civil War http://www.munknee.com/2011/01/washington-faces-possible-armageddon-unlike-any-since-civil-war/
- Remedies to Fiscal Gap Guarantee Hyperinflation! http://www.munknee.com/2010/11/remedies-to-fiscal-gap-guarantee-hyperinflation/
- Warning Signs Suggest U.S. Headed for a Complete Societal Collapse! http://www.munknee.com/2010/10/warning-signs-suggest-u-s-headed-for-a-complete-societal-collapse/
- Let’s Get Real: The U.S. is Bankrupt and the Consequences Will Be Dire! http://www.munknee.com/2010/09/lets-get-real-the-u-s-is-bankrupt-and-we-dont-even-know-it/
- The above article consists of reformatted edited excerpts from the original for the sake of brevity, clarity and to ensure a fast and easy read. The author’s views and conclusions are unaltered.
- Permission to reprint in whole or in part is gladly granted, provided full credit is given as per paragraph 2 above.