This is the 4th in a series of 100 provocative, useful facts about big issues facing American voters which are being presented by www.FaceTheFactsUSA.org every day until the election to help Americans debunk myths, hold better conversations, get involved, and make choices as smarter citizens.
This series is brought to you courtesy of Lorimer Wilson, editor of www.FinancialArticleSummariesToday.com (A site for sore eyes and inquisitive minds) and www.munKNEE.com (Your Key to Making Money!). This paragraph must be included in any article re-posting to avoid copyright infringement.
Fact#4* Released: Aug. 2, 2012 Infrastructure
Simply maintaining those roads in their current state costs $101 billion a year. Drivers log an average of 13,476 miles per year, or 37 miles a day. The number of Americans with driver’s licenses increased 45 percent, from 145 million in 1980 to 210 million in 2010.
How do we know?
Check the original sources behind the fact:
- DOT: Federal Highway Administration 2010 Highway Statistics: Licensed Drivers, Vehicle Registrations, and Resident Population
- DOT: Federal Highway Administration 2010 Highway Statistics: Vehicle Registrations, Fuel Consumption, and Vehicle Miles of Travel as Indices
- Congressional Budget Office Economic and Budget Issue Brief: Spending and Funding for Highways
- DOT: Federal Highway Administration: 2010 Status of the Nation’s Highways, Bridges and Transit: Conditions & Performance
- Texas Transportation Institute at The Texas A&M University System: 2011 Urban Mobility Report
What do others say?
Here are stories and opinions relating to this fact. We didn’t base the fact on them. Some argue a point of view. That’s them talking, not us….
The asphalt’s getting crowded
PBS: “America revealed: Gridlock”
- GOOD Magazine: “GOOD Attacks: A traffic infographic”
*http://facethefactsusa.org/facts/the-asphalts-getting-crowded-video-/ (Face the Facts USA is a nonpartisan information resource from the Center for Innovative Media at The George Washington University.)
HAVE YOU SIGNED UP YET?
Go here to receive Your Daily Intelligence Report with links to the latest articles posted on munKNEE.com.
It’s FREE and includes an “easy unsubscribe feature” should you decide to do so at any time.
SAVE TIME searching for today’s best articles. They’re all here!
All articles are also available on TWITTER and FACEBOOK
1. Fact #1: Revenue Does Not Cover Core US Programs
2. Fact #2: The U.S. Has the Highest Corporate Tax Rate in the World
3. Fact #3: Overspending on Education in U.S. Doesn’t Buy Genius