Fact #6: Americans wasted enough food in 2010 to fill 91 Empire State Buildings (33.79 million tons) which was up 16% from a decade ago. The average American wastes 209 to 254 pounds of edible food each year. Meanwhile, more than 17 million American households were considered “food insecure” in 2010, meaning it was difficult to provide enough food for everyone in the family. 46 million Americans, about one in seven people, relied on food stamps.
This series is brought to you courtesy of Lorimer Wilson, editor of www.FinancialArticleSummariesToday.com (A site for sore eyes and inquisitive minds) and www.munKNEE.com (Your Key to Making Money!). This paragraph must be included in any article re-posting to avoid copyright infringement.
This is the 6th in a series* of 100 facts about big issues facing Americanvoters which are being presented by www.FaceTheFactsUSA.org every day until the election to help Americans debunk myths, hold better conversations, get involved, and make choices as smarter citizens.
Fact#6* Released: Aug. 4, 2012 Life in America
How do we know?
Check the original sources behind the fact.
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations: “Global Food Losses and Food Waste: Extent, causes and prevention”
- US Department of Agriculture: Household Food Security in the United States, 2008
- US Environmental Protection Agency: Basic Information about Food Waste
- US Environmental Protection Agency: Municipal Solid Waste Generation, Recycling, and Disposal in the United States: Tables and Figures for 2010
- The Official Site of the Empire State Building
- Unit Conversion
What do others say?
Here are relevant views and reporting from other sources. As you explore, keep in mind that some selections may argue a point of view, and we can’t warrant the accuracy of facts you face along the way.
HAVE YOU SIGNED UP YET?
Go here to receive Your Daily Intelligence Report with links to the latest articles posted on munKNEE.com.
It’s FREE and includes an “easy unsubscribe feature” should you decide to do so at any time.
SAVE TIME searching for today’s best articles. They’re all here!
All articles are also available on TWITTER and FACEBOOK
1. Fact #1: Revenue Does Not Cover Core US Programs
2. Fact #2: The U.S. Has the Highest Corporate Tax Rate in the World
3. Fact #3: Overspending on Education in U.S. Doesn’t Buy Genius
4. Fact #4 from FaceTheFactsUSA.org: Twice the Time Now Spent in Traffic Congestion vs. 2010
5. Fact #5: 44% of Jobless Are Unemployed Longer Than 6 Months!