Before we see the end of the biggest bubble in world history, the Dow and most markets will have gone down by at least 90%. This is what happens when an asset bubble based on illusionary wealth and fake money implodes. The world will soon find out that the Emperor Really Has No Clothes.
The above comments, and those below, have been edited by Lorimer Wilson, editor of munKNEE.com (Your Key to Making Money!) and the FREE Market Intelligence Report newsletter (see sample here – register here) for the sake of clarity ([ ]) and brevity (…) to provide a fast and easy read. The contents of this post have been excerpted from an article* by Egon von Greyerz (goldswitzerland.com) originally entitled Gold is the ultimate protection against the Great Financial Catastrophe and which can be read in its unabridged format HERE. (This paragraph must be included in any article re-posting to avoid copyright infringement.)
The world has been living in cloud cuckoo land for so long that unlimited credit at zero percent, hundreds of trillions of dollars of new credit and quadrillions in derivatives were all believed to be real money and assets and part of normality. In the last couple of days we have seen how quickly euphoria changes to fear.
- China thought that copying the sick Western financial system and increasing borrowings 14 fold over 15 years would make them an economic super power and the biggest economy in the world. Instead China just became a super bubble that is now starting to implode.
- Emerging Market countries believed that China would stock pile their commodities for ever but are now learning that no trees grow to heaven. But their debts have of course.
- Japan is a basket case whose economy will sink into Pacific.
- The European super structure of socialism and welfare was doomed the day it started. When politicians create megalomaniacal monsters for their own ego, they are guaranteed to go under.
Markets are crashing and currencies tumbling. The next financial disaster will be the biggest of them all which is the bond markets. Before the bond market collapse has finished, there will be over $100 trillion that will disappear from that market and interest rates will be at least in the high teens and possibly a lot higher.
Wealth preservation and insurance against imploding assets and all the risks around the world means owning gold. Gold is the ultimate protection against this Great Financial Catastrophe. It is not just a must to hold physical gold. It is how and where it is held that is absolutely critical.
Let me set out a few of the criteria for owning gold:
- It must be physical gold, not paper of any form whether it is ETFs or futures.
- Gold must be stored outside the banking system in the safest vaults in the world.
- Gold must be stored in countries with sound and stable political systems. Preferably it should not be stored in the investor’s country of residence.
- We consider the USA too high risk for storing gold including its neighbour Canada. The U.S. is the most indebted country in the world and its banks have a dangerously high derivative positions of hundreds of trillions of dollars. Also the political system is not gold friendly. For the same reason gold should not be stored through companies based in the U.S. even if the vault is located abroad.
- Switzerland is our number one choice for storing gold because of the very stable and sound political system and the fact that this country has been a democracy for more than 700 years. Also, the Swiss people have a tradition of holding gold and saving in gold. Furthermore, the Swiss refiners produce 60-70% of the gold bars in the world so it is a very important industry with well-established traditions. There are superb gold vaults in the Swiss Alps and in Zurich.
- Singapore has a sound political system and good modern vaults but it is a young country with a non-homogenous population and it is not a full democracy. Also there is a strong U.S. influence in banking system and there is a U.S. naval base.
- It is extremely important that gold is held directly by the investor with personal access to his allocated and numbered gold bars. All counterparty risk must be eliminated whenever possible. Most companies offering gold purchase and vaulting claim that investors have sole ownership but the gold is held is a sub-account of the company with no direct access to the vault. In our view, this is not acceptable. An investor should not have to go through a counterparty to get to his gold. The warehouse receipt or certificate of ownership must be in the name of the investor with unencumbered access to his gold. This is an extremely important subtlety that most investors don’t realise when they buy and store gold. GoldSwitzerland is probably the only full service precious metals company offering this direct access and ownership.
- The gold must be insured by a major international insurer.
As the world now enters what will be probably be the most volatile period in world history both economically, financially and geopolitically, wealth preservation is absolutely critical. We are going to see wealth destruction that will shock the world. Therefore, physical gold must be held as insurance against these risks. Throughout history gold has always had the role of real money and wealth preservation whenever there has been a crisis in any nation.
Related Articles from the munKNEE Vault:
…Many in the investment community swear by the old myths about gold, but is there any truth in them? If investors examined the facts, they would find that the most commonly held anti-gold beliefs do not hold water and, once the general public realizes that these beliefs are not valid, the price of gold will be much higher.
Here’s the best reason to buy and hold gold and silver, at any price, and especially at these artificially suppressed prices.
Gold’s relatively methodical advance since the turn of the millennium has had to do with the persistent desire to allocate a small portion of global wealth away from traditional financial assets and the fiat currencies in which they are priced. For these reasons, and the many more outlined in this article, we believe gold’s most dramatic advances remain ahead of us.
Only about 2% of ‘investors’ actually have gold in their portfolios and those that have done so have insufficient quantities to offset the future impact of inflation and to maximize their portfolio returns. New research, however, has determined a specific percentage to accomplish such objectives. Words: 1063
Instead of gold, people commonly think of paper money as the only medium of exchange and as a store of value; cash is after all their unit of account. They see the gold price rising when they should be seeing the value of paper money falling.
The best places to buy gold and silver online depend on what your goal with the gold is — amassing physical bullion for financial security or to speculate on prices. Below are strategies and recommended dealers for each approach.
This article takes a step back and looks at the bigger picture related to gold including long-term trends, and sets out some key characteristics of gold which are worth considering when (or if) allocating some part of an investment portfolio to the world’s favorite precious metal.
Though the river of gold market analysis runs wide and deep on the Internet, precious little of that content is devoted directly to the most basic rationale for gold ownership. Here we fill that void in chart form – a quick reference for the first-time investor.
It is impossible to understand and appreciate the tremendous appeal of gold and silver without understanding the precise and comprehensive definition of the word “money”. This article does just that.
Every investor owes it to himself to make sure that his investments will not be completely wiped out in the coming financial Armageddon by providing an adequate level of insurance against risks that prey upon the value of paper investments i.e., physical gold held by the investor himself on his own premises.
Worldwide economic uncertainty has created a growing interest in precious metals as a way to…protect one’s wealth from impending economic Armageddon… Unfortunately, many today don’t know how to purchase or store bullion, and consequently may find themselves as vulnerable to financial collapse as those who didn’t purchase any bullion at all. [This article outlines what rigorous due diligence is absolutely required when entering into an agreement to buy gold bullion and how it should be stored and why. Don’t buy any gold product without reading this article first.]