Below is an edict to the citizens of the United States of America on the subject of a change in U.S.A. governorship and its citizens’ personal conduct given the current “circus” in America’s politics and deterioration in the way of life of most Americans.
By: Lorimer Wilson – editor of munKNEE.com
“In light of your failure to financially manage yourselves and also, in recent years, your tendency to elect Presidents and Senators who demonstrate an ineptitude to govern you, we hereby give notice of the revocation of your independence.
Effective July 4th, 2016, Her Sovereign Majesty Queen Elizabeth II will resume monarchical duties over all American states, commonwealths, and territories. Your new “president” will be The Honourable Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, David Cameron, who will be instructed to appoint a Governor for America without the need for further elections. Congress and the Senate will be disbanded.
To aid in the transition to a British Crown dependency, the following rules will be introduced:
1. Word Spelling:
387 words will, henceforth, be spelled differently to properly reflect the “Queen’s English”. Examples of some of the changes that are being re-introduced are as follows:
- The letter ‘u’ will be reinstated in words such as ‘honour’, ‘colour,’ ‘favour,’ ‘labour’ and ‘neighbour’.
- The letters ‘er’ will be reversed in words such as ‘centre’ and ‘theatre’ to mention only a few.
- The suffix ‘-ize’ will be replaced by the spelling ‘-ise.’
- The word ‘jewellery’ will replaced the misspelled ‘jewelry’ as will
- ‘programme’ for ‘program’,
- ‘doughnut’ for ‘donut’,
- ‘draught’ for ‘draft’,
- ‘catalogue’ for ‘catalog’,
- ‘petrol’ for ‘gasoline’
- ‘aluminum’ for ‘aluminium’,
- ‘cheque’ for ‘check’,
- ‘grey’ for ‘gray’,
- ‘pyjamas’ for ‘pajamas’,
- ‘sulphur’ for ‘sulfer’,
- ‘whilst’ for ‘while’
- ‘tyre’ for ‘tire’ and
- ‘plough’ for ‘plow’ to name just a few.
There is no such thing as American English. English is English! We will let Microsoft know on your behalf.
2. Word Pronunciation:
It is recognised that countries have regional dialects to some extent and accent certain words but the outright mispronunciation of certain words shall change. Below are a few such examples:
- The last letter in the alphabet will be pronounced ‘zed’ not ‘zee’ in the future.
- In addition, the word ‘buoy’ is to be pronounced ‘boy’ not ‘boo-ee’ and
- ‘lieutenant’ is correctly pronounced ‘loo tenant’ not ‘left tenant’.
See here for a list of words whose pronunciation must change.
3. Word Definitions:
Over time you Americans must learn to speak the English language as originally intended to avoid confusion, embarrassment and more. For example:
- the word “john” is a man’s name and a “punter” is a prostitute’s client. Men named “John” resent the inference and it must stop.
- Since American football is being banned (see below) there should no longer be any confusion in applying the correct meaning of the word.
4. English Grammar:
In spite of what you read in the newspaper, or what your favourite (NOT favorite) on-line commentator/article writer writes:
- sentences do not begin with the words ‘and’, ‘but’, ‘yet’, ‘so’ and, most often, ‘because’. They are conjunctives and should be used as such,
- paragraphs do not begin with the words ‘this’ or ‘that’ and in almost all cases paragraphs should be more than one sentence long and
- conjunctives such as ‘therefore’, ‘however’, ‘as such’, ‘moreover’, ‘in as much as’, ‘be that as it may’, etc. will be applied in all future written correspondence.
5. National Holidays:
- April 1st will replace July 4th as a holiday for obvious reasons.
- ‘American’ Thanksgiving on November 22nd will be allowed to continue as opposed to the ‘Canadian’ Thanksgiving on October 8th due to your warmer weather BUT
- Black Friday will be abolished and replaced by Boxing Day (the day after Christmas).
- Memorial Day (May 28th) will be postponed until November 11th and renamed Remembrance Day in keeping with that of the other countries in the Commonwealth.
6. Conflict Resolution:
- You will learn to resolve personal issues without using guns, lawyers, or therapists. The fact that you need so many lawyers and therapists shows that you’re not quite ready to be independent.
- Guns should only be used for shooting grouse not for resolving a gripe. If you can’t sort things out without suing someone or speaking to a therapist, then you’re not ready to shoot grouse.
7. Use of Firearms:
- Rifles will only be permitted to shoot deer, pheasants, grouse, ducks and wild turkeys.
- Guns will be forbidden – even by the police.
- Automatic weapons will be limited to military use only.
8. Road Traffic:
- All major intersections will be replaced with roundabouts, and
- you will start driving on the left side of the road.
- You will go metric and without the benefit of conversion tables as was the case in Canada to apparent disastrous effect.
- Pounds will be replaced by kilograms,
- miles by kilometres,
- inches by millimeters
- feet by centimetres,
- yards by metres,
- gallons by litres,
- fahrenheit by centigrade, etc.
- You will learn to make real chips. Those things you call French fries are not real chips, and those things you insist on calling potato chips are properly called crisps. Real chips are thick cut, fried in animal fat and dressed, not with catsup (ketchup) but with malt vinegar.
The cold, tasteless stuff you insist on calling beer is not actually beer at all.
- Henceforth, only proper British Bitter will be referred to as beer, and European brews of known and accepted provenance will be referred to as Lager.
- American brands will be referred to as Near-Frozen Gnat’s Urine, so that all can be sold without risk of further confusion.
The words ‘please’, ‘thank you’ and ‘you’re welcome’ will be introduced into your vocabulary.
- Whenever you ask for something you will now have to say ‘please’ first – every time – or you will not get it.
- You must say ‘thank you’ whenever a service is rendered – every time – or it must be returned/rescinded. The words ‘no problem’ or the sound ‘uhhuh’ are not acceptable.
- Conversely, if you are on the receiving end of such a transaction you must show appreciation and say the words ‘you’re welcome’ – each, and every, time – not the guttural sound ‘uhhuh’, ‘whatever’ or variations thereof.
There is no such word as ‘uhhuh’ and both ‘uhhuh’ and ‘whatever’ are seen by the literate as a sign of mental laziness, indifference and rudeness and, as such, will not be tolerated.
13. Dress Code:
- hats (baseball or otherwise) are not to be worn indoors,
- socks are to be worn with shoes,
- tarty attire is to be restricted to only those who get paid for sex and
- ties are not to be worn with buttoned-down collars.
- Hollywood will be required, occasionally, to cast English actors as good guys.
- Hollywood will also be required to cast English actors to play English characters.
- You will cease playing American football. There are only two kinds of proper football; one you call soccer, and the other is rugby (dominated by the New Zealanders). Those of you brave enough will, in time, be allowed to play rugby (which has some similarities to American football, but does not involve stopping for a rest every twenty seconds or wearing full Kevlar body armour like a bunch of nannies).
- Further, you will stop playing baseball. It is not reasonable to host an event called the World Series for a game which is not played seriously outside of America. You will learn cricket, and we will let you face the Australians (world dominators).
- Finally, you will learn curling and enter bonspiels in Canada (world dominators) where the sport is widely played.
- The deductibility of mortgage interest from your annual income will be eliminated and
- taxes on liquor, beer, wine, cigarettes and petrol (which you formerly referred to as ‘gasoline’) will be DOUBLED. Get used to the equivalent of $10/gallon!
An internal revenue agent (i.e. tax collector) from Her Majesty’s Government will be contacting you shortly to ensure the payment of all monies due (backdated to 1776).
- The $1 bill will be eliminated and replaced with a $1 coin and referred to as the ‘birdie’ to differentiate it from Canada’s $1 coin called the ‘loonie’.
- A $2 coin will be introduced and referred to as the ‘eagle’.
- The graphics on all remaining paper currency denominations will be changed to include a picture of Her Majesty (when she was in her thirties).
- Mexican authorities have shown interest in forming a monetary union with Canada and the United States of America and, as such, we are determining the feasibility of introducing a North American currency.
- Serious consideration is being given to calling the new currency:
- the CAMEX (CA for Canada, AME for America and MEX for Mexico),
- the MEUSCA or the more generic
- NAC (North American Currency).
- Serious consideration is being given to calling the new currency:
Our decision will be announced by the end of the year.
18. Tea Time:
‘Happy hour’ after work will be replaced by ‘tea time’ which shall begin promptly at 4 p.m. using proper cups with saucers (i.e. china) and never mugs, with high quality biscuits (cookies) and cakes; plus strawberries (with cream) when in season.
God Save the Queen!”
P.S.: Only share this with friends who have a good sense of humour (NOT humor)! Oh yes, ‘P.S.’ means ‘post scriptum’ which means ‘after what’s written’. In case you were confused, it does not mean ‘Public School’. Other designations, such as ‘N.B.’, ‘e.g.’ and ‘i.e.’, will slowly be introduced into your everyday written word.
(-: OK OK, there is no way this is actually going to happen! Happy April Fool’s Day to all. Feel free to “get” your friends and co-workers with this article! (-:
“Follow the munKNEE” on Facebook, on Twitter or via our FREE bi-weekly Market Intelligence Report newsletter (see sample here , sign up in top right hand corner)
Other April Fool’s Day Spoofs:
Earlier today Federal Reserve Chairman Janet Yellen made the surprising announcement of the return to the gold standard saying, “The safest way for the economy to proceed is through a new system that holds more accountability for the U.S. dollar and its value in the global markets.”
Canada’s multi-year efforts to buy the Turks and Caicos Islands in the Caribbean as a sunny and warm winter vacation destination for it citizens have been abandoned with the announcement today of the agreement to purchase 41.3% of the Hawaiian Islands and 100% of the U.S. Virgin Islands from the cash-strapped United States. The details of the sale follow. Words: 669