The 2016 bull market in gold and gold stocks had gone off course, moving too far out of its historical boundaries to remain a bull market. It has broken bull market support ($1200-$1210 and $1230) and could be on its way to $1050 in the next few months.
Register to receive our bi-weekly Market Intelligence Report newsletter (see sample here , sign up in top right hand corner). It’s free, so sign up for it, try it out and if you don’t like it, unsubscribe. It’s that easy.
The monthly candle chart of Gold is shown below.
- Gold is down 7.4% on the month and has sliced through the important support at $1200-$1210 as well as the 20-month moving average at $1201 and the 40-month moving average at $1231.
- The 40-month moving average has been an excellent primary trend indicator throughout Gold’s history.
- There is a little support at $1150 but nothing standing in the way of Gold heading for a retest of its low at $1050.
Gold is not only weak in nominal terms or US Dollar terms but it is showing weakness in real terms. Below we plot Gold against foreign currencies (the US Dollar basket) and the NYSE, a broad equity index.
- Gold/FC has been strong for several years but it has lost support and looks headed lower.
- Meanwhile, Gold/NYSE lost support at its 400-day moving average and could retest its 2015 low.
Gold is clearly broken but its decline is due for a pause.
- Gold has been strongly correlated to the bond market which may have made an interim low last Wednesday.
- Also, the gold stocks are showing a positive divergence. Even as Gold…traded down to $1171/ozt, the gold stocks (GDX, GDXJ) did not make a new low.
- Furthermore, the market has now fully priced in a quarter point rate hike in December.
The odds favor a rebound in the days and potentially weeks ahead.
- Traders and investors should use the rebound to de-risk their portfolios, raise cash and hedge if the opportunity presents itself.
- Don’t think about buying until we see sub $1080 Gold and an extreme oversold condition coupled with uber bearish sentiment.
- “Like” this article on Facebook
- Have your say on Twitter
- Register to receive our free tri-weekly Market Intelligence Report newsletter (see sample here , sign up in top right hand corner).
- Every day, 7 days a week, I scan hundreds of financial articles, identify the best, and then repost abbreviated versions of them on munKNEE.com.
- I have been doing so for 9 years now and have posted 4,500 articles to date (see archives on Gold & Silver, Investing, Economic & Financial matters and some interesting Miscellaneous articles.)
- The newsletter is free so, what the hell, sign up for it in top right hand corner, try it out and, if you don’t like it, unsubscribe. It’s that easy.