Many people know IRA investing is a wise way to plan and save for the future but what you may not know is that you’re able to use certain bullion coins as part of your Individual Retirement Account portfolio so use the bullion coin info [presented in this article]…as a quick guide to some of the bullion coin options that are available to…give you some new ideas [on how] to expand and help your IRA investment portfolio.
…The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) rules…require that the bullion coins you use in your IRA investment portfolio must have a minimum fineness (a minimum amount of proportional bullion content in the coin) as follows:
- Gold coins: .995 or finer
- Silver coins: .999 or finer
- Platinum coins: .9995 or finer
- Palladium coins: .9995 or finer
…[The above] means that:
- the old 90% silver coins — like silver dimes, silver quarters, silver half-dollars, and silver dollars — [that you may] have in change jars or in your coin collection are not going to fit the bill…
- [nor] are coins, like the 1909-S VDB cent…because they’re classified as collectible coins [and] collectible coins can’t be used in an IRA.
- [In addition,] certain 3rd-party-graded (slabbed) bullion coins also will not be allowed in the plan because they, too, are generally considered collectible coins.
- Proof bullion coins are also typically excluded…because they tend to cost significantly more than the bullion value of the metal within.
- Bullion coins certified only for the purpose of authenticating their fineness — not for grading — are allowed.
…[Below] are the most common U.S. bullion coins allowable in an IRA:
- American Gold Eagle coins
- American Silver Eagle coins
- American Gold Buffalo coins
- American Platinum Eagle coins
…Certain foreign bullion coins are also allowable in an IRA:
- Canadian Maple Leaf silver coins
- Canadian Maple Leaf gold coins
- Canadian Maple Leaf platinum coins
- Canadian Maple Leaf palladium coins
- Mexican Libertad silver coins…
Editor’s Note: The original article from coins.thefuntimesguide.com has been edited ([ ]) and abridged (…) above for the sake of clarity and brevity to ensure a fast and easy read. The author’s views and conclusions are unaltered and no personal comments have been included to maintain the integrity of the original article. Furthermore, the views, conclusions and any recommendations offered in this article are not to be construed as an endorsement of such by the editor. Also note that this complete paragraph must be included in any re-posting to avoid copyright infringement.
Related Articles From the munKNEE Vault:
Some physical gold, silver, platinum and palladium bullion assets, in addition to traditional paper assets, can be part of your Individual Retirement Account (IRA) or Roth account and they can be bought and sold with no tax consequence until you move money out of the account. [This short articles reveals just what bullion assets can, and cannot, be included.] Words: 573
Some physical gold, silver, platinum and palladium bullion assets, in addition to traditional paper assets, can be part of your Individual Retirement Account (IRA) or Roth account and they can be bought and sold with no tax consequence until you move money out of the account. [This short article reveals just which bullion assets can, and cannot, be included.] Words: 573
Too much debt, too little income, expenses too high, cost of living increasing every year, and retirement income increases (if any) not keeping pace with increasing cost of living? Then do something about it! Here’s how.
munKNEE should be in everybody’s inbox and MONEY in everybody’s wallet!
If you want more articles like the one above sign up in the top right hand corner of this page and receive our FREE bi-weekly newsletter (see sample here).
Why spend time surfing the internet looking for informative and well-written articles on the health of the economies of the U.S., Canada and Europe; the development and implications of the world’s financial crisis and the various investment opportunities that present themselves related to commodities (gold and silver in particular) and the stock market when we do it for you. We assess hundreds of articles every day, identify the best and then post edited excerpts of them to provide you with a fast and easy read.